Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Day of Student Teaching

 

My first day of student teaching was an...experience. This is how it went:

Well, first of all, I need to explain. I don't like florescent lights so I only use lamps in my room. I have a lamp on my book case and a lamp above my desk and mini lamps all around. The lamp on my bookcase is my primary source of light.
I wake up, about 6:00 on Monday morning, breathe in deep (I am so ready for this day), reach for my lamp, and .... nothing. My light went out.

Okay, I'm not going to let this get to me. So I get up, turn on the other lamps and get ready to go to the shower. Remember, I'm an RA in the dorms; I grab my robe, a towel (for my hair), my basket full of shower things, and (of course) my shower shoes! Now I'm generally not up this early, so I didn't expect that everyone (and practically their mothers!) showered at that time. Needless to say, I have the coldest shower I've ever taken. BRRR! I then go to brush my teeth and do all that business, but when I go to grab a paper towel - there's nothing!

But, that's not a big deal. I return to my room, get pretty, and gather my things to leave. Now, like any nervous young student...er teacher (oxymoron much) I had everything out for me: my first outfit, my packed lunch, my ID, a book (just in case). I take everything and look at the clock, 7:20am. A little behind, but I'm only a couple blocks away. 

I head outside and...whoops, I forgot that I live in South Dakota. Frost covers my entire car. As I am scraping off the white flakes as fast as possible, all I can think of is "If I get this job full time, I'm getting a garage. I don't care how much more expensive it is. I'm getting a garage."
After my car is free of frost, I'm finally on my way. T created a wonderful Beatles CD for me for Valentines Day and I thought it was the perfect music for the five minute drive there. As I park, grab my bookbag, lunch, and water bottle, I look at the school with wide eyes and begin walking towards it. This is the moment I've been waiting for. This is what the last three years of my life has led up to. This is it. I enter the doors and head towards the office. I sign in as a guest, being as polite as possible to the secretaries (my mom always said the people you want to make friends with on the first day are the secretaries, food service staff, janitorial staff, and aides). I put my "badge" on and leave the office.
The school is beginning to fill, students loiter in the commons area. Some are reading, most are chatting.  Don't freak out, I think. I make my way to my, well my cooperating teacher's, classroom. The lights are off. 7:35am. He's not here. Perfectly, there is a chair outside the door. I sit down, extremely conscious of all the students staring at me as they walk the halls, pull out the book I was reading, "Alphatudes," and read at my leisure. 

At 7:50, my cooperating teacher walks up and says, "Oh, how long have you been here." I smile sweetly and (of course) say, "Oh only a couple minutes." Turns out, the classroom wasn't locked, so I could have walked right in. He doesn't have a desk set up for me, but I was prepared for this. There is a student's desk sort of away from the others that I designate as mine. I take off my coat, put my lunch down, empty the important things from my bag onto my desk (planner, pen, notebook, and "Alphatudes"), and sit. Ready for the day to begin.

First class. 12th grade British Literature. They are reading Macbeth - pretty much the only Shakespeare play I haven't read. They all stare at me. I introduce myself, for the very first time out loud, as Miss Remmers. A flash of something crawls up my spine. It wasn't entering the school that I had been anticipating. It was this. This simple recognition that I am, without a doubt, Miss Remmers. I've been known as Miss Remmers via the blogosphere and Twitter for about 8 months. But I have never been "Miss Remmers" out loud, in 'the real world', until now.

I continued to observe the rest of the day. Students continued to look at me and I continued to sit their awkwardly. My cooperating teacher, the great guy that he is, had the tech fellows set me up with my very own official email account through the state! This was extremely exciting as I now receive all official school emails (I love emails). After school, I promptly configured the email to my Blackberry (I love my life).

Lunch was ... different. T helped me pack an extremely healthy lunch. I had grapes, water, a peanut butter sandwich, apple fruit leather, a CLIF bar, some raisins, and some carrots. I'm generally not a very healthy eater - but I was so hungry I ate it all! 

I was then informed that auditions for the musical, Annie, were at five. Now, my cooperating teacher (also the Theater Director) did not ask me to participate in his extracurricular activities. But, if I am to teach in a rural area, it's generally on the English teacher to be in charge of theater. So I'm definitely going to need the experience. Also, my "Dream Job" is at this school - it will only help if I involve myself in extracurriculars. And finally, I want to be involved with my students outside of class. 

After school I headed back to campus to check my mail (I received a couple of books) and to run some other errands, before returning to school for auditions at five. I had to return to campus by seven as I was duty, but I stayed for two hours - watching students sing, dance, and read the parts they so desperately wanted.

At seven when I returned to school - I was utterly and completely exhausted.

I have never felt such exhaustion before.


6 comments:

  1. Busy day! I sometimes wonder if part of the reason that student teaching is so tiring is because our bodies are hardwired for college- that is, taking a nap whenever the spirit moves us. Getting into the swing of a regular work day definitely took me some practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your first day went well! Thanks for sharing it with us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, I remember my first day of my second placement, the GPS took me to a lake, I went into the wrong building, and my cooperating teacher had swine flu. By all means you are doing find. Keep your chin up, student teaching is grueling but you can handle it, I promise. And when you are done, reward yourself with something awesome, like a garage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a good, though exhausting, day. I hope the kids didn't stare at you too much! I remember feeling very awkward when I was observing classes! At least when you start teaching you feel as though you look like you have a purpose! Looking forward to hearing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like every thing went just great. I loved that T packed you a lunch!

    ReplyDelete