Thursday, March 25, 2010

For the Love of Teaching


While the title of this post sounds negative, be prepared for the opposite.

After school yesterday I was on my way home (a short drive) thinking of how the day went. It didn't go as amazingly as Tuesday's class - but I didn't have a problem.

I was stopped at a light when the thought hit me, "I already miss school." I wasn't even a football field away and I was ready to go back. I was excited for the next day's (today's) lessons. I all of a sudden had a feeling of pure euphoria. The past couple weeks I've been challenged and I feel like I'm meeting that challenge. I'm doing what I can and I'm changing things up when necessary.

For instance, a big thing that is advocated in education classes (particularly Language Arts) is to do frequent (weekly) vocabulary quizzes. I tried that this week. It was absolutely awful. AWFUL. The kids hated it (but they did it) and we've spent all our time on it! We haven't even started talking about the novel - which is kind of a blessing in disguise as I haven't read it yet (whoops). Next week we will be doing something different - I don't know what, but we will be doing something different. It just didn't work in the classroom.

I love that I have this kind of flexibility. I love that I can look at what I'm doing, say this isn't working, and try something different! It's absolutely fantastic! The kids aren't absolutely in love with me - but they do what I ask them to and I haven't had any disciplinary issues.

I'd say - all in all - this has been a fantastic week and I'm already excited for Monday (yes, it's Thursday).

2 comments:

  1. When I was in school, I was that rare kid that loved vocab quizzes. I always loved learning new words. It also didn't hurt that it was easy for me.
    I'm glad you are enjoying the teaching. It must be very rewarding and fulfilling to be doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah--success! The kids don't have to be in love with you; in fact, I found in all of my experience with teachers that the ones the kids loved the most were often the least effective as teachers. They do what they're asked, they don't cause disciplinary problems--and you're seeing what works and what doesn't. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete