Tuesday, March 9, 2010

First Interview

Last Tuesday I went to my very first professional job interview. I wasn't very nervous - had to much going on (what with it only being my second day of student teaching) so really even think about it. I was confident (but not overly confident) and I was ready.

When the time came to head down to the office (as I applied to the same school where I student teach - the Dream Job school), my heart began to race and I started to sweat. When I got to the office I introduced myself and took a seat, waiting for them to call my name. I, of course, got there fifteen minutes early and, the nerd and bibliophile that I am, did not want to wast fifteen minutes just sitting there. So I came prepared with a copy of "All Quiet on the Western Front," the first book I'll be expected to teach.

Amazingly, with each sentence read my heart beat slowed and my breathing returned to normal. I can't recall anything that I read, but the familiar act of simply reading calmed all of my nerves. When the Assistant Principal came to get me, not only did she find me reading, she found me relaxed. She walked me into the interview room; by that time, I didn't have time to be nervous.

I sat, I smiled, I laughed, and I talked passionately, appropriately, honestly, and accurately.

The interview went extremely well. I am happy with everything I said; I'm glad that if I don't get the job it won't because I didn't interview well due to nerves.

After that interview, where we mostly talked about me being a teacher, I headed to Interview Part II, with the Principal. This interview, while I'm still happy, didn't go as well as the first. I think I still did well and I still represented myself in the best and most honest way possible; it was just a different setting.

They said they'd let me know by Friday (that was last Friday). Each day I get less and less anxious and assume more and more I didn't get the job. I won't be extremely upset if I don't get the job, as there is another job opportunity about twenty miles away, but we'll see.

A principal that I worked with during my Junior Field last spring called and told me that the just got off the phone with a principal at the other school district hiring (the one twenty miles away) and told him that he highly recommended me. He told me to get my application in and they could let me know right away.

So, I'm getting my application in today. It's already sealed.

Let whatever happens - happen.

Needless to say - the cartoon doesn't depict how I felt during my interview. I just thought it was funny.

2 comments:

  1. I've been applying for librarian jobs for a few months now, and still haven't gotten an interview. So good on you, and keep trying if this one isn't successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to get that first interview under your belt. At every interview, they'll come up with something new that you're not expecting but at least you've got ready answers to the other questions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete