Thursday, April 29, 2010

Awkward Moment

Yesterday, in the same class that we had that great discussion on "The Power of Words," I read the sixth chapter aloud. It was a short chapter and the students asked me to read it; I obliged.

Now, this is my own fault. I'm having a hard time getting into "1984" and have barely been keeping up with my students. For instance, when I gave them time to read Chapter Five, I was reading Chapter Five too. So far, this had gone well. Until yesterday when I somehow got asked to read Chapter 6. I will say that I don't think these students knew what Chapter 6 was about, as many of them hadn't finished Chapter 5.

Chapter 6, of "1984" is about marriage and sex. This chapter talks about fortification, masturbation, and prostitution.

Did your jaw drop? Mine sure did after reading (aloud) the first two pages. It was a short chapter (thank goodness) that couldn't end soon enough. When it did end, I looked up at my class of seniors and saw a few suppressed giggles and smiles. I could think of nothing to say except, "Well that was awkward."

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you have just learned an important lesson! Weren't you a little bit curious about why the students were so keen for you to read it aloud?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have read it but you can be sure that one of the students that asked you to read it had! Lesson to the teacher!

    ReplyDelete