Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Student Recognition vs Avoidance

This morning while walking into school I passed a student who I have in one of my classes. This student is one I say "Good Morning" to every morning. But today, while passing in the hall, he didn't even look at me. While not exactly "hurt," I was a bit annoyed with this avoidance, especially because in class he's so friendly.

I didn't let this get me down and I continued with my day. When said student came to class a few minutes later I offered my usual "Good Morning," and he responded, "Good Morning, Miss Remmers."

But then, during my prep period 80 minutes later, I was walking to the print shop and I saw another student. Yesterday I had to continually talk to him about "losing the 'tude" and being more respectful. Today, I see him off to the side of the commons (new hair cut and hall) and he not only waves, but calls out to me too - "Good morning Miss Remmers!" In front of all of his peers!

I'm not sure how this works - but that little bit of recognition that I do actually exist ... I couldn't help but smile! I am now on a mission to say "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon" to everyone I meet in the hallways.

Good Morning.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've already made an impression on one kid at least. If you've done that, you've already started making the difference that is the hallmark of a career in teaching.

    ReplyDelete