Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Observation #1

On Thursday of last week I had my very first observation. Meaning: A professor (or University Supervisor) came to observe me teach. I know you are all dying to hear how it went and because at the moment I can't think of a better or more appropriate introduction - it went fantastic! (I googled "Fantastic" and this is what it came up with...not my fault)

First of all - I had to wing almost everything. What I thought would take the students twenty minutes took them all of about four and half. So I improvised - a lot. But it worked out! I did have quite a few extra disciplinary issues that I don't normally - but it was the last day before the four day Easter break. I think I handled it relatively well! A couple students who generally do what I ask them (and like it) were abnormally negative - that sort of took me by surprise.

But as whole - the class went really well. After class, the US (University Supervisor) generally meets with the Student Teacher (me) for about fifteen minutes for feedback. Because I didn't have a class after, the UC and I went into the theater to talk. We were there for 80 minutes!

She absolutely loved it! She said she found herself participating in the activities and wishing she were in the class! She said she didn't write down a negative thing! My CT (Cooperating Teacher) continued to inform her that this particular class is special because of its make up of students. They both agreed that by observing the class you'd never know that!

We talked about how I was doing - I'm loving it! I may have even almost teared up a little bit (pre-menstrual). I said I loved the challenge, the unexpected, and the flexibility. I never know exactly what I'm going to get! I talked about how lucky I am to have my CT. I told her that when I leave school everyday I'm excited to return. She said she'd love to be in my class. She noticed how much the students like me and connect to me.

It was a fantastic experience. While I generally knew I was doing okay - I didn't get either of my top two choices for jobs and I started to question my abilities. It's nice to know that someone believes in me and sees how I am doing  (and likes it!). She definitely gave me the confidence boost I've been needing.


I told her about the three reading positions at the Middle School here in town. I told her that  I would "give my left leg" for one of those positions. I haven't gotten a call yet - but I did ask her if she would send in a recommendation for me. She said she'd call! Please, keep me in your thoughts. I really want one of those positions!

No comments:

Post a Comment